* Most recent blog essays: "Republicans Need to Get Their Party Back From Trump," Iowa City Press-Citizen, October 20, 2016, p. A7For the past six months, since the Iowa Board of Regents' selection of Bruce Harreld as president of the University of Iowa, September 1, 2015, this blog has endeavored to compile a relatively complete repository of links to, and comments about, the news stories and opinion pieces dealing with the Board of Regents, President Harreld, and related items of relevance to higher education in general and the University of Iowa in particular. They are contained in the blogs for September-October, November, December, 2015, and January and February, 2016 (all linked from this page). I thought it would be a useful resource for those looking for a single source to follow the saga, as well as for those in future years wishing to do serious research, or merely inform themselves, about this important slice of UI's history. Response from readers indicates it has at least provided the former function. Now as they say, "as a concession to the shortness of life," and a desire to get back to other writing, I am going to reclaim those daily hours of research for other tasks. As major UI stories worthy of individual blog essays come along they will, of course be blogged about from time to time.
"Iowa's Top Republicans' Major Mistake," October 13, 2016
"Law, Social Norms and Trump," October 2, 2016
"Donald Trump's Barrel of Squirrels," September 25, 2016
"First Thoughts on 911 -- 15 Years Later," September 11, 2016
"At Last, the Agnostic, Insomniac, Dyslexic Answer," September 10, 2016
"Trump Might Not Be Blundering in Race," September 9, 2016
"Labor Day for All 2016," September 4, 2016
"Our Revolution: Yes; But First Some Questions," August 31, 2016
"The Doping Dilemma," August 17, 2016
"Maybe This Explains Trump," August 15, 2016
When Words Can Kill," August 10, 2016
"The DNC Still Just Doesn't Get It," July 29, 2016
"Why Trump May Win; Discouraged By The Democratic Party's Self-Inflicted Wounds," July 25, 2016
"Doing It Ourselves," July 24, 2016
"An Answer to Athletes' Doping?" July 23, 2016
"Cancer: 'Of Course; But Maybe,'" July 13, 2016
"Clinton-Lynch Tarmac Talk; 'What Were They Thinking?'" July 4, 2016
"Focus on Muslims Misplaced After Shooting," Iowa City Press-Citizen, June 17, 2016, p. A5
"Keeping Up With ISIS; There Is Another Explanation for Orlando," June 14, 2016
"On Being, Doing and 'Compromise;' What's Next for Senator Sanders' Revolution? Here's My Suggestion," June 9, 2016
"When 'The Morning After' Looks Even Worse," June 8, 2016
"Searching for the Media's Soul," June 7, 2016
"My Take on Supervisor Race," June 4, 2016
"Breaking Through Power: The Media," May 29, 2016
* Most recent UI & President Harreld-related items & comments:
"What Putin Can Teach Rastetter," May 9, 2016, as published in The Daily Iowan, May 6, 2016, p. 4
"What Russia's President Putin Can Teach Regents' President Rastetter," April 16, 2016 (an expanded version of The Daily Iowan's excerpt, above)
UI President Harreld - Feb. 2016," February 1, 2016
Cessation of Ongoing Harreld Repository [Feb. 29].
For research beyond February 29, 2016, you might start with this list (any omissions were inadvertent; email me suggestions for more):
University of Iowa AAUP, https://twitter.com/UIowaAAUP
Mark Barrett, Ditchwalk, http://ditchwalk.com (look for Harreld Hire Updates)
Iowans Defending Our Universities, https://twitter.com/IowansDefending
John Logsdon, https://www.facebook.com/johnlogsdon.jr, and on Twitter, https://twitter.com/JohnLogsdon
Josiah Pickard, https://twitter.com/uimemory
. . . and well-crafted search terms in Google. -- N.J., February 29, 2016
The most recent blog essay (as distinguished from the entries listing UI-related material) is:"Breaking Through Power: The Media," May 29, 2016Recent other than (1) University of Iowa, (2) terrorism, or (3) TIF-related topics:
See more, below.
University of Iowa, most recent: The most recent month's collection in the ongoing repository of news, opinion pieces, and documents regarding the University of Iowa, its current president, Bruce Harreld, the Iowa Board of Regents, and related matters is: UI President Harreld - Feb. 2016," February 1, 2016
University of Iowa, earlier: Earlier collections of, and individual blog essays about, the repository of news, opinion pieces, and documents regarding the University of Iowa, its current president, Bruce Harreld, the Iowa Board of Regents, and related matters are:UI President Harreld - Jan. 2016," January 1, 2016
"UI President Harreld - Dec. 2015," December 1, 2015
"UI President Harreld - Nov. 2015," November 1, 2015
"Business Background: Enough for University President?" September 2-October 31, 2015
Recent terrorism-related blog essays
Recent TIF-related blog essays
"Breaking Through Power: The Media," May 29, 2016General instructions on searching by heading, date, or topic
"What Putin Can Teach Rastetter," May 9, 2016, as published in The Daily Iowan, May 6, 2016, p. 4
"What Russia's President Putin Can Teach Regents' President Rastetter," April 16, 2016
"The Constitution, Supreme Court and People's Voice: Senate Ignoring the People's Voice," March 21, 2016
"Why Won't Media Give Bernie a Break?" March 23, 2016
"The Constitution, Supreme Court and People's Voice," March 21, 2016
"Random Thoughts on Tuition-Free Iowa Universities," March 11, 2016
"Water," February 29, 2016
"The State of the Media," February 28, 2016
"Our Communities' Second Priority," February 7, 2016
"Bernie's Extraordinary, Unacknowledged Accomplishment," February 3, 2016
Why Nobody 'Wins' the Iowa Caucus," February 1, 2016
"Caucus With Your Heart And Head -- For Bernie," January 28, 2016
"Why I'm Caucusing for Sanders and You Should Too," January 22, 2016
"Reasons for Hope in 2016," December 25, 2015
"Feeling the Bern at The Mill," December 9, 2015
"Anyone for Democracy," November 22, 2015
(1) If you've come to FromDC2Iowa and landed on this page, rather than what you are looking for, it is because this is the default page, the opening page, for this blog.
(2) Many visitors are looking for recent blog posts. At the bottom of this page you will find suggestions. At this time they include: (1) material related to the Iowa Board of Regents process for selecting President Bruce Harreld, and his ongoing performance in office, (2) terrorism, ISIS and Syrian refugees, and (3) TIFs, and other transfers of taxpayers' money to the wealthy.
(3) It is also possible to go directly to specific blog posts within this blog. Here's how:
First, go to the top of this page where you will see the headline, "Welcome to FromDC2Iowa: Contents & Guide" and click on it there (not as reproduced in this sentence). That will clean this page by removing blog posts from earlier this month.
In that right hand column you will find two ways of accessing individual blog posts:
(1) Blog Archive. The first is under the bold heading "Blog Archive.". You will see the years from 2006 to the present. Click on a year, and the months of that year will appear. Click on a month and the individual headlines for the blog posts during that month appear. Click on a headline and you will be transferred to that blog post. (Once there, you will see the unique URL address for that blog post that you can use in the future, or share with a friend, as a way to reach it directly.)
(2) Google Search Nick's Blog or Website. Immediately beneath the Blog Archive is the bold heading "Google Search Nick's Blog or Website," followed by an empty box, and the instructions, "Insert terms above; then click here." (Although it offers the option to search the "Nicholas Johnson Web Site" as well, it is set to the default: "FromDC2Iowa Blog.") Use whatever search terms you think most appropriate, such as "University of Iowa," "terrorism," "TIFs," or "Harreld." Your click will open up a Google search Web page listing the relevant blog posts (if any) with the links you can click on to see them.
University of Iowa's new President Bruce Harreld.
Looking for the blog post containing extensive repository of documents, news, opinion pieces (updated daily) from September 2 through October 31, 2015, regarding the Iowa Board of Regents' process, and early selection of UI President-elect Bruce Harreld? -->Click here<--
For November 2015 coverage -- with documents, news stories, and opinion pieces -- from his first day on the job, November 2, through November 30, 2015 -->Click here<--
For the December 2015 coverage -->Click Here<--
For the January 2016 coverage -->Click Here<--
In addition to these blog posts, which primarily contain chronological lists of documents, news articles and opinion pieces -- along with some relatively brief commentary about some of the items -- there are also the following more traditional blog essays and newspaper columns by Nicholas Johnson on these subjects:
"Hiring Candid, Courageous University Presidents," August 29, 2015
"Should Bruce Harreld Be Given Serious Consideration in UI Search?" embedded in "Business Background: Enough for University President?" September 2, 2015
"Better Ways to Pick a New UI President," The Gazette, September 27, 2015, embedded in "Seven Steps for Transitioning Universities," September 27, 2015
"UI's President Could Have Been Chris Christie," October 3, 2015
"Parallels Between School Systems Staggering," Iowa City Press-Citizen, November 10, 2015, embedded in "UI and Higher Education in Context," November 9, 2015
"Trouble in River City: Corruption Creep," December 13, 2015
"Quick Draw Harreld and Why Language Matters," December 17, 2015
Terrorism, ISIS, Syrian Refugees.
Understanding Terrorist Thugs," The Daily Iowan, December 3, 2015
Nicholas Johnson, "Sober Risk Assessment Needed to Respond to Terror," Iowa City Press-Citizen, November 28, 2015
Nicholas Johnson, "Syria's Refugees: Job One and Job Two," The Gazette, November 1, 2015
"Is U.S. Response Strengthening ISIS?" September 19, 2014
For additional speech texts, columns and blog posts on these subjects, see "Samples of Nicholas Johnson's Prior Writing on Terrorism and War"
TIFs and Other Crony Capitalism Schemes For links to 44 blog essays on these topics since 2006 see, "TIFS: Links to Blog Essays"