Friday, September 01, 2006

Correction Re: Governor Vilsack and Rain Forest

As a result of a conversation with Governor Tom Vilsack this evening (September 1) I would like to correct an impression left in Nicholas Johnson, "Rain Forest Breaks Silence, Not Ground," September 1, 2006. [For a report on the evening see, John Deeth Blog, "Hangin' in Coralville With Dvorsky and Friends," September 1, 2006. My own take -- and that of wife, Mary -- is that the Governor's speech was one of the best political speeches we've heard -- certainly around Iowa]

In the course of discussing KWWL-TV7's report of David Oman's assertions about the rain forest funding, I quoted from the station's news story and then said this about a possible Vision Iowa grant to the project:

2. "Earthpark Executive Director David Oman said, "'We need to partner with one of these two communities to go to Vision Iowa.'"

I would simply repeat what I've said before on this one -- "I know no reason to think that the Vision Iowa board, if it had the money, would give it to the rain forest" -- but for this comment from Bradley Franzwa:

"Vilsack was on the Iowa Press this week and was getting frustrated at the questions focusing on his presidential (non) campaign. He started listing other things he would rather discuss. Then he said,

“'HOW ABOUT THE IOWA VALUES FUND AND THE 2,000 JOBS THAT WE ARE ABOUT READY TO CREATE AS A RESULT OF BOARD ACTION IN THE NEXT COUPLE OF MONTHS?”

"­What the heck is he going to do with this? Right now the fund only has $5 million in reserves. The rain forest is preparing their application for funding probably with signatures from leaders from two communities. Is Vilsack really going to gift the rain forest just before leaving office? Is there already an agenda made for the Vision Iowa Board Meeting in Clinton on September 13?"

My private conversation with the Governor this evening, the details of which I do not feel free to reveal, do permit me to say that I believe my first statement ("I know no reason to think that the Vision Iowa board, if it had the money, would give it to the rain forest") is closer to the case than the implications of what follows, above.

No comments: