Tuesday, April 07, 2020

Celebrating "возникают и расцветают"

One sunny spring April 7th decades ago Mother was sitting in her favorite chair on the kitchen porch when she called to me.

"See that little cluster of blue flowers over by the alley? Dig up a couple of those and plant them in the back yard. I think they would do well back there."

And so I did. And so they did.

Year by year more and more of these Siberian Squill make the pilgrimage to the back yard on April 7 each year for their four-day celebration of the birth and prolific lives of the two original flowers, following which they return home. They call the celebration "возникают и расцветают" (Russian for "Arise and Bloom").

Because each plant shares a sense of obligation to all the others they are immune to COVID-19 and can safely gather in this large annual grouping.

For years I have protected the flowers' privacy and said nothing about their "возникают и расцветают" celebration. But my understanding is that they are quite willing for me to tell you this year.





[Photo credit: Nicholas Johnson]
# # #

No comments: